Sunday, October 17, 2010

First Lines

So I just finished reading seventh period's short stories. Well, actually skimming. Remember, this first round of grading is for some basic skills. After skimming, I am already impressed, and I hope that some of you will choose your short stories for me to evaluate with greater scrutiny.

I wanted to share a sampling of some of the first lines to these stories:

1. A flash of light lit up the dark cave. A cylinder of light shone against the back wall of the cave. -- Christian from the story "Pentacle"

2. Another day at the hospital: a chemo session and a blood check. -- Moira

3. I woke to the sound of my older brother Joey, or as I call him, Joe-Joe. He and my dad were arguing: again. -- Kaitlyn

4. It was like going down a rollercoaster, the adrenaline rush you feel. -- Amanda from the story "The Day That Changed Everything"

5. All I hear is the yawning of birds outside my bedroom window. -- Sean from the story "Becoming the Wild"

6. I had that dream again. I was watching my home, Earth, being glassed by the alien alliance called The Hollows. -- Tyler from the story "Another Day, Another Nickel"

Which are your favorites? I think all of them have a sense of mystery about them. They are a little bit unclear and you have to read on to understand the meaning of the first line. Very soon we'll be talking about the value of a good grabber, so pay attention to what grabs your attention when you pick up something to read!

No comments: